* Book: White Cargo is the forgotten story of the thousands of Britons who lived and died in bondage in Britain’s American colonies.
* Drawing on letters crying for help, diaries, and court and government archives, Don Jordan and Michael Walsh demonstrate that the brutalities usually associated with black slavery alone were perpetrated on whites throughout British rule.
* This is a saga of exploration and cruelty spanning 170 years that has been submerged under the overwhelming memory of black slavery.
* A million Europeans enslaved – Wednesday, March 10, 2004 – Washington Times – Reuters News Agency.
* White Slaves – NPR Michael Walsh Interview.
* Author: Mr. Davis – book: Christian Slaves, Muslim Masters – White Slavery in the Mediterranean, the Barbary Coast, and Italy, 1500-1800.
“One of the things that both the public and many scholars have tended to take as given is that slavery was always racial in nature — that only blacks have been slaves. But that is not true,” said Mr. Davis, an Ohio State University professor.